Keeping Our Children Safe
The Day School is committed to providing a learning environment that is a safe place for students. The health and safety of our students is our top priority. The Day School recognizes that parents place their trust in our School to safeguard the welfare of their children, and these protocols and procedures provide a formal mechanism to protect our students from any abuse of this trust:
The intention and purposes of these protocols and procedures are:
- To provide a safe and secure environment for Day School students.
- To protect students from any incident or conduct that might cause physical or emotional abuse or harm while participating in Day School activities.
- To educate The Day School employees and volunteers of required conduct with the goal of preventing incidents of abuse.
- To provide a mechanism to report suspected abuse, and allow for appropriate subsequent actions without retaliation.
- To provide transparent communication to our Day School community.
Because of the importance of these purposes, any failure to adhere to the guidelines and standards in these policies by any employee or volunteer of The Day School may result in disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal from their position of employment or volunteer service.
- The Day School has one entry point located at the Wight Garden at the Circle Drive entrance which is stationed and secured by a member from The Day School Security Team at all times.
- The Day School utilizes The Raptor System to identify all visitors who enter the building. This system enhances school security by reading driver’s licenses, comparing the information to a sex-offender database and alerting Safety Administrators if a match is found. A visitor who passes this clearance procedure receives a printed visitor badge with his or her photo which must be worn at all times during their campus visit.
- Criminal background checks are required for all parents and all other volunteers before participating in school field trips, helping in the classroom, and/or volunteering in any way in the Day School office.
- There are 29 security cameras throughout the inside and outside The Day School that are monitored by our Security Team.
- All Day School staff members (teachers, administrators, etc.) are background checked through the CBCU (Centralized Background Check Unit) before permitted on campus.
- All staff members submit to fingerprinting through Identigo.
- Day School staff members have completed Ministry Safe Awareness Training, as well as “Reporting Suspected Abuse or Neglect of a Child” by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.
- All staff member references are contacted and consulted with before The Day School makes hiring decisions.
- At least two adults are present during diapering.
- At least two adults are present when assisting a child who has had an accident or at any time a child changes clothes.
- One teacher may walk a child to the restroom and wait outside of the restroom, but two adults are present when assisting a child inside the restroom.
- All staff members receive training regarding appropriate professional boundaries between students and adults.