It’s Healthy Heart Month in Mrs. Bankhead’s PE and Motor Lab classes. We will be learning several ways that we can take care of our hearts through exercise and the things that we eat and drink this month. There are ways that you can take care of your child’s heart as well.
In an article published by Children’s Health, they have stated “10 Ways to Keep Your Childs Heart Healthy”.
1. Keep Moving (An active lifestyle is an important step to a healthy heart life.)
2. Be Positive (Encourage and celebrate healthy choice accomplishments.)
3. Limit Screen Time (Get up and move!)
4. Schedule Yearly Check-Ups
5. Go to the Grocery Store Together (Let your children be a part of and learn to make healthy choices.)
6. Keep Healthy Options on Hand (Healthy already prepared grab and go snacks are a great idea.)
7. Make Dinner a Family Affair (Involve your children in cooking and meal planning.)
8. Be Aware of Salt Intake (Limit processed foods and keep salt shakers from being freely accessed.)
9. Stay Involved (Be an advocate for your child and others at school, camps, friend’s houses, and other places.)
10. Be Realistic (Set realistic goals and limits. Small steps and gradual changes can make a big difference in your child’s health now and later in life.)
We will be Hula Hooping, Dancing, Jumping Rope, Relay Racing, Jogging, doing aerobics, and moving through an obstacle course. The students will be getting stickers for each activity that they do. Be sure to ask your child about their day in Motor Lab and PE. It’s going to be a fun and exciting month of learning different ways to exercise, eat, and drink to have healthy hearts.
“Above all else guard your heart, for everything that you do flows from it.”